cancel shortcut key

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Jul 8 19:10:33 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Jul 7, Mingzhai Sun did say:

> I create S for Staroffice by menue editor. Now whenever I type S, it
> will Start it. I am uSing KDE under fedora core2.

And I'm guessing you you used the lower case "s" {"uSing"}

But either way I can imagine the problem. Though I'm a little confused.
I know there is a menu edit shortcut setting tool in:
But I didn't think you could add one for star office there???
Oh wait a minute yes, If I select an item in the menu listing and then
click on the button displaying the current shortcut I get a pup-up to set
it... Lets see, how to clear... AhHa! The little funny looking icon next
to the popups shortcut display box will clear the box... Suggestion,
think about it carefully before assigning a shortcut key. And if you want
to use something like an "S" for star office, I'd suggest that you make
it more like "Ctrl+Alt+S" which you can get the same way as you got the
"S" only before you touch the "S" you must be holding down the "Ctrl" key
and the "Alt" key...

Actually I think there is a better place to do your shortcuts

Found in the "keyboard shortcuts" utility that I can only find under the
other "optional" preferences which can be enabled under:
KDEstart->Preferences->"Configure the Panel"->Menus
and enabling the optional sub menu "preferences"
It has the same name as the other preferences but a different icon, and
appears in a different section of the KDE menu called "Actions" that I
can't get to with the regular menu editor... (Which is too bad, I'd like
to know the command evoked when I click on it...) Anyway, since this is
plain text, and has no icons, I'm using the lowercase p in "preferences"
to indicate the optional sub menu I just described.
If you go to:
KDEstart->preferences->"Regional & Accessibility"->"Keyboard Shortcuts"

And select the "Command Shortcuts" tab, you will get a list of
the applications/commands  that are currently in your KDEmenu. Here you can
assign shortcuts using almost the same method, only here there is a more
obvious way to select "None"

Whats more, under the other tabs you can set (and/or) become familiar
with a lot of other shortcuts such as even what shortcut will start the
KDEmenu. Just do remember to think about it before you assign a key or
key combination as a shortcut, as you found out, the shortcuts assigned
here are global in nature and if you use the key combination for
something else (like typing words with the lower case "s" in them) You
might not be happy with the results.

Good luck!

- --

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/  #