HOWTOs?

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jul 8 22:54:21 UTC 2004

Hi

> Some of the HOWTOs are absurdly out-of-date,
> while others are extremely good.

Yes. LDP is already aware of this. If you have
complaints on any specific howto they should be
reported to the author and cc'ed to
discuss at en.tldp.org if you want everyone to take a
look at it. You can read about whats happening every
week here

http://tldp.org/ldpwn/latest.html

RSS feed:
http://www.karakas-online.de/myServices/rssify.php?url=http://tldp.org/ldpwn/latest.html

> Wouldn't it be possible to introduce a rule
> that if a HOWTO has not been modified for say a year
> (and the modification need only consist of a change
> in the date)
> then it is removed from the archive,
> or as you say put in an "obsolete" directory?

Its not so simple. We have a general rule that every
document should go through a review each year. It
would be more helpful if we get more volunteers to
review the whole set and do it periodically. Some of
the reviewers are already doing this. For certain
kinds of documents like the unix and internet
fundamentals howto for example DO NOT require a
frequent update and hence should not be automatically
moved into the obsolete directory

> I'd suggest too that every HOWTO should have a date
> in the heading,
> and an email address for the author.
> Most do have this, but some don't.

Yes. It should.  The published date as well as every
change should have a date associated with it. Again if
you have specific information please email the author
as well as the tldp list

regards
Rahul Sundaram