Traffic shaping... don't understand the instructions!

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Jul 9 02:48:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 03:14 PM 7/8/2004, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> >
> > > The same way you would for iptables: Write an initscript that
> > > restores them from a config file. Until then, gather them in a
> > > script and invoke them in rc.local.
> >
> >Or better yet:
> >
> >         /sbin/service iptables save
> >
> >The iptables initscript loads its config from /etc/sysconfig/iptables.
> >Issuing the "service iptables save" command dumps the current iptables
> >config to that file, and it will be automatically loaded on boot.
>
> Matthew, are you wandering off-topic and answering Kenneth's comment on
> iptables, or do you suggest that this would also save traffic shaping
> rules? Because if it's the latter, I don't think that's true at all... OTOH
> if it's the former, please stick to the topic; I'm confused enough already!

Sorry, the former.

I wasn't really following the original thread, but I spotted that comment
and thought it was worth pointing out the technique for configuring
iptables that is "a la mode de Red Hat".  On rereading, I interpret
Kenneth's suggestion for the permanent solution as adding an initscript
for traffic shaping that uses the iptables one as a model.

Never mind...
--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences