Turning off unwanted programs to speed things up...

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 9 14:54:05 UTC 2004

I did an almost complete install of Fedora Core 2, even though I didn't
know what half the stuff is or really need it, I have plenty of disk
space with my new hard drive, but it is memory usage that is the
problem. On startup I have 75% in use. I'm not familiar with how linux
manages memory, but I know my system goes to 100% real fast, and I have
512mb. Is there a program where I can tweak what is loaded on startup in
order to free up some memory? When running in windows 98, I have tweaked
my system up good for gaming and have about 90% of the system resources
free at startup and most of the memory. I don't do much gaming in linux
(tried through wine, but doesn't perform very well), so I don't need it
that freed up, but I think I need to get rid of some things.