Turning off unwanted programs to speed things up...

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Fri Jul 9 15:05:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:54:05 -0500, Andrew Konosky <TerranAce007 at comcast.net>
wrote:

>  but I think I need to get rid of some things.

Dale's response about memory use is on the mark. That's really not the
barometer you need.  I tend to look at  home much swap space is used.  My
system is often sitting with just a few K of memory free, but less than 10% of
swap  used.  I take it to mean that it is using memory efficiently.

However, you may have processes running you don't  need. The quick way to see
what gets launched automatically is to use chkconfig:

chkconfig --list

Look at what's on in levels 3, 4, and 5 (the normal run levels).  Looking a
man or a bit of Googling will tell you what each thing is/does.  You can test
turning things off with "/sbin/service service-name stop" and back on with
"/sbin/service service-name start" to see if not running something has any
important effect.
--
   Steve