Sendmail and SMTP AUTH

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Jul 9 16:07:32 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 09.07.2004 schrieb Bob Chiodini um 17:39:

> My DSL ISP, bellsouth.net has informed its customers that they will
> require SMTP authorization to send email through their servers.  I have
> a small network at home consisting of a windows XP, a windows 2000, and
> a FC2 box, and have set up the FC2 box as a relay for the other boxes in
> the network.  I use define(`SMART_HOST',`[mail.bellsouth.net]') in
> sendmail.mc.  This has been working well since long before FC2.

Why the Bellsouth SMTP server in squared brackets?

> Now that bellsouth.net is changing their policy, it seems that each user
> must reconfigure their email clients (Outlook express, Evolution and
> Thunderbird) to send SMTP AUTH mail directly to bellsouth.net's server.
> Bellsouth.net also blocks inbound port 25 and presumably outbound except
> to their server, WRT my FC2 box.  Not much a point paying for that fixed
> IP address.
>
> The questions/problem:
>
> Is there a way to configure sendmail to use SMTP AUTH between my FC2 box
> and bellsouth.net, but not between my users and my FC2 box (short of
> finding another ISP).  I would like to keep sendmail between my users
> and bellsouth.net, at least for logging reasons.  I have 3-4 days while
> bellsouth.net is accepting email with or without using SMTP AUTH.

Put into the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
FEATURE(`authinfo')dnl

Create a file /etc/mail/authinfo with content
AuthInfo:mail.bellsouth.net "U:your_username" "P:your_password"
"M:PLAIN"

Be sure the authinfo file is "chmod 640" and "chown root:root".

Then run "make -C /etc/mail". That's all.

> On the email receiving side, I use Cyrus IMAP and fetchmail.  Nothing
> here will probably require changing.

No, you can leave that unchanged.

> Bob...

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
Serendipity 18:00:38 up 2 days, 9 users, load average: 0.46, 0.41,