Spamassassin timing

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jul 9 19:10:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 14:28, Steven Stern wrote:
> According to the log, it's taking SA 3 seconds to process a 6K message from
> this list.  All external stuff for SA is disabled. Is this normal?

> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
>
> required_hits           5.0
> use_bayes               1
> auto_learn              1
> skip_rbl_checks         0
> use_razor2              0
> use_dcc                 0
> use_pyzor               0

First it looks like you have rbl checks enabled.  Need to set to 1 to
skip them. :)

On our main email sever I see spamassassin taking anywhere from .1 to 15
seconds to scan emails.

This was getting to be quite a load at times as we have been averaging
something like 200+ spam messages an hour in recent weeks.

But this morning I implemented greylisting which looks like it will cut
the spam by 90% or better.  Highly recommended if you are fighting this
problem.  Appears to reduce the load on the server significantly.  There
were times when I would see loadaverages in the 20+ range.  After
implementing greylisting I don't think the loadaverage has gone above 1
or 2 at most.

I also recommend a number of the SARE rule sets.  Check them out if you
have not already.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com