Traffic shaping... don't understand the instructions!

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Fri Jul 9 20:14:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 12:20, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 12:16 PM 7/9/2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> >er.. I think the only one who's actually interested in understanding
> >what I'm trying to do is _you_.
>
> Very much so. I'm going to attempt to finish my "Small Netserver HOWTO" and
> to actually update my "Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO" while I'm on vacation, so
> I want to be able to explain a bunch of stuff. Eventually I'm going to put
> your traffic shaping stuff in the Netserver HOWTO as well, you know. You'll
> be famous. <wink>

So.. For now, I'm only "almost Famous"??

Darn..!

Hey.. isn't a vacation means no work or no hobbies? The last one I went
to, the "the one who must be obeyed' permitted me to bring along the
laptop only for Music/Digital Camera Pic downloads and nothing else.

> The point is that you later give the user a choice of three scripts to
> download:
>
>          1. Just the facts, ma'am.
>
>          2. The slightly embellished story.
>
>          3. The full nine yards.
>
> All three scripts eventually end up optimized and integrated as best
> possible, but you've done your users a *huge* favor by allowing them to
> select the level of complexity and power they want, or choosing a simple
> solution instead.
Yeah.. if anyone actually uses it.

You know.. why don't you use something which as already been
written/done?

Pay USD25 for the netequalizer (www.netequailizer.com)

or use m0n0wall which as a nifty php driven admin GUI (based on FreeBSD)

I'm doing it because I want to learn.

> > > Find friends who are getting rid of very old boxes.
> >
> >I'm trying to get some too. Not much luck though. Can I find some of
> >_those_ friends here?? :-)
>
> Dunno... where's here? <grin>

:-(

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel