mysterious FC2 gdm/X crash

antonio montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Sat Jul 10 06:11:08 UTC 2004

Gerry Doris wrote/ha scritto, On/il 10/07/2004 07:55:

>On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 19:58, Ben Vitale wrote:
>

>>Hi folks,
>>  Early yesterday morning while I was fast asleep, my X server quit.
>>Upon startup, my desktop shortcuts had lost their unique icons.
>>Relevant log portions are below.
>>

>...snip
>

>>The only X-related change I have made to my system in the past 48 hours
>>is that I yum updated to xorg-x11-6.7.0-5 the day before. System ran
>>fine for 24+ hours until this crash.
>>
>>I run FC2, kernel 2.6.5-1.358.  Nvidia GeForce4 MX440, with the newest
>>drivers (6106).
>>
>>Does anyone have any ideas what may have caused this crash?
>>
>>TIA,
>>Ben

I experienced same strange behaviour yesterday: the user lost his icons
on the desktop (and desktop wallpaper): furtehermore the redhat icon
didn't stop the system and I had to switch to another user by
Ctrl+alt+Bksp. The other user was fine. When I rebooted everything was
fine .
I experienced only once. No Nvidia card here kernel is 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
and Xorg last update

--

 Antonio

 Working with  Mozilla 1.7 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 2