FC1 upgrade from rh8, but running 2.6.7 kernels

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Sat Jul 10 07:11:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 09 July 2004 20:29, Satish Balay wrote:

<snip>

>> rpm -q yum python libxml2-python
>> rpm -qV yum python libxml2-python
>> rpm -Va

<snip>

> For the first 2 commands, I get very similar if not exactly the same
> results:
>
> [root at coyote linux-2.6.7-mm7]# rpm -q yum python libxml2-python
> yum-2.0.7-2.fc.fr
> python-2.2.3-7
> libxml2-python-2.6.6-3
> [root at coyote linux-2.6.7-mm7]# rpm -qV yum python libxml2-python
> S.5....T c /etc/yum.conf
>
> But the last one is still trying to fill the bash history scrollback
> (10 megs on this system IIRC) to the breaking point.  Best I append a
> '|grep yum' to cut down the noise I think.  However, the first
> invocation is still running 10 minutes later...  Tommorrow maybe?

I would redirect the output to a log file - and then look for bad
stuff in it - which could sugest corrupted rpm install (ignoring
entries for /dev & /etc. ) Prelinking causes failed tests for most .so
files - so this needs to be discounted as well.

> ?? Is that now a wrong version of yum for an FC1 system?
> If so, its strange as its been running that version for at least a
> month, flawlessly till now.

I would think this version from freshrpms repo should work out fine..

Sorry - can't help narrowing down the problem yet..

Satish