vsftpd

Doug Maurer doug at dmaurer.net
Sat Jul 10 15:31:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 10:38, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 10.07.2004 schrieb Doug Maurer um 16:27:
>
> > I know this question has probably been ask before, but googling hasn't
> > helped. Using when trying to ftp into or out of a FC2 box fc2>fc1 or
> > fc1>fc2, I get
> > 227 Entering Passive Mode (x,x,x,x,199,244) (x=the exact ip)
> > ftp: connect: No route to host
> > I can log in fine, but as soon I do a ls, I get that message.
> >
> > can anyone either point me in the right direction or provide a fix for
> > this
>
> > Doug Maurer
>
> That comes from a firewalled or/and NATed ftp server. Following site
> illustrates the differences
>
> http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html
>
> You may either use active ftp mode with the client - if the firewall
> does allow that -, you may check if using NAT whether ip_conntrack_ftp
> and ip_nat_ftp modules are loaded or you may need to setup proper
> iptables rules to allow the desired FTP connections.
>
> Alexander
I've tried both modprobe's for ip_conntrack_ftp and ip_nat_ftp

I then brought both my systems iptables back to default except I left
ports 20/21 open. (these systems are 1000 miles apart.) I can now ssh
into my FC1 box and ftp back to the FC2 box, but when i try to just ftp
from FC2 to the FC1 I still get the no route to host error. I never had
this problem when they were both FC1. So I'm not sure what has changed,
both have the same looking iptables and vsftpd.conf files.

--
Doug Maurer
doug at dmaurer.net
Linux User #299439