tar

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Sat Jul 10 16:28:22 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 07:08, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 07:31, J.L. Coenders wrote:
> > Probably an easy question for you, but I am fiddling with it for hours and
> > can't seem to find out how to make a multi-volume tar file, which is
> > preferably also zipped. I think I am approaching it in the wrong way.
> >
> > with the command below I can make a multi-volume file, however it overwrites
> > the last volume with the next, and it isn't gzipped:
> >
> > tar -ML 650000 -cvf backup.tar *
> >
> > Any ideas how to solve this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > - Jeroen
> >

> For gz use the -x option,  bzip2 use the -j option, or after creating
> the tar file use gzip or bzip2 to do the compression.
>
> My version of tar does not allow compressed archives as multivolume, and
> it also prompts for an enter after each volume is created. Thus it is
> not totally hands free.
>
> Unless someone else can tell you different it appears that you would
> need to move the archive to a new name before you press enter, and then
> compress the archive after creating it.
>
> Or you can create one big archive and then split it into smaller pieces
> for storage.
>
> If this is being used for backups you might want to look at
> mondoarchive.  It easily makes multiple compressed images ready for
> burning to cd of whatever size you specify.

I wrote a small script to backup 3 files encrypt them then send them via
ftp to my ISP then delete the tar files off of the local hard drive.
That gives me a backup with the file name with the system date in the
file name so it won't over write it when I ftp it.  To change the name I
just used the copy command (cp) so you can put it anywhere you want, but
it will give you separate file for every day you run it.  You can tell
the script to remove (rm) files older than X days if you don't want to
keep them ( I don't know how, but I think you can do that )  If you want
a copy of the script to play with email me at sales at tmpco.com and I will
forward it to you,

Tim...