FC2 Package Manager help

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Sat Jul 10 18:59:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 07:43, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 10.07.2004 schrieb Scott Talbot um 16:25:
>
> > 	I was trying to find a package I needed, but could only find a
> > tarball.  Now Ive used them before, though not many times, and found
> > that when I tried to install, that I had not built FC2 with any of the
> > development RPMs. While attempting to install , my CD hiccuped and the
> > process aborted.
>
> > 	I think the simplest way to proceed would be to convince package
> > manager that the files are indeed present, so that I can uninstall the
> > lot then try to install all needed packages. Any ideas?
>
> > Scott
>
> What do you want to know? Stories about the proper handling of rpm? I
> don't think so, you certainly desire specific help. So please provide us
> with specific information. Information about what you type into your
> console/terminal, which packages you want to uninstall, which are
> claimed to be not installed but you think they are. We need too the
> response messages (errors) by the system.
>
> Alexander
Hmmm.. I used package manager to install the Development Tools, which crashed
near the end of the installation process.  Using Package Manager again to
uninstall them, I get the message that some packages were not found,
specifically, make, which is required by stunnel, and gettext, which is required
by mutt.

	The problem is that those packages are installed as verified by rpm -qa
(filename).  Just to be sure I erased all 4 programs using rpm -e
(package) and reinstalled with rpm -ivh (filename). Package Manager will
still not uninstall the Development Tools.

	So, what I need to know is the easiest way to get my system to the
point where I can install source code when required.  I have checked
that all of the Development Tools rpms are present. Perhaps I need to
erase the database completely and rebuild?  I seem to recall this advice
some time ago, something about erasing 3 .db files? could you help with
that?

Thanks

Scott