nvidia and gl

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 11 10:06:02 UTC 2004

On Sunday 11 July 2004 03:56, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 10:29:27AM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:

>> > The /var/log/Xorg.0.log file would be more interesting.
>> >
>> > Mogens
>>
>> Sorry if this becomes a duplicate.  I sent it but another message
>
>It did...
>
>> The xorg.0/log follows:
>> --------------
>
>That looks as if the right driver has loaded
>now look at the libraries that get loaded.
>What do you see if you do this:
>    $ strace -f -o /tmp/trace-glxgears glxgears
>    472 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1024.400 FPS
>    $ grep lib /tmp/trace-glxgears
>    6018  open("/usr/lib/libGL.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 3
>
>The key is that non of the libraries should be Mesa GL libraries.  I
>recently did a "by the numbers reinstall" of the nVidia package
> because a Mesa update conflict with libraries.   Not only a kernel
> update but Mesa and other X11 libs will invite a reinstall.
>
>Watch out for tls libs.  Some funky stuff was going on with those
>libs.

I wonder if that was the reason for the funky key repeats and very
slow screen updates of the cursor position back when I had an nvidia
card in here, but thought I was running the nv driver.  When I had to
buy another card, it was an ati, and I went thru the system nukeing
nvidia version named libraries and the std named softlinks to them,
and re-pulling them out of the XFree86 archives as required.

To make a long story short, I've not had the sluggish key repeat or
cursor position update problem since.  Fixing my faty fingered typu's
is now once again smooth and easy.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.