fedora life span

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jul 11 15:08:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 10:40, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 05:34:19PM -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > For major packages used in production I have started building them from
> > source.  (apache, php, postgresql, etc)  As such I can apply patches
> > directly from the developers when needed.  True, I don't use RPM for
> > those packages but then I have a little more control over what options
> > are included.
>
> Scot -- I suggest going a step further. There's a bit of a learning curve
> for RPM, but it's not too bad, especially when starting from already
> existing packages. Instead of building and installing the source directly,
> build your own RPMs. Then you have the advantages of both.

Matthew,

	That is on my list of things to get to eventually.  :)  Other things
always seem to take precedence.  One major benefit would be not having
to have a build environment installed on every machine.  (particularly
Internet facing systems, I prefer not having a wide variety of tools on
those boxes)

	So don't be surprised if I ask questions about writing spec files
sometime in the future.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Out of the mouths of babes does often come cereal.