Problems --FC2, 2.6.6 kernels

Doug Maurer doug at dmaurer.net
Sun Jul 11 18:15:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 14:05, Elwe Singollo wrote:
> "On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 12:38, Elwe Singollo wrote:
> >So, I am using an ideq 200N nForce2 chipset, with Realtek ALC650 sound.
> >
> >I am having the same problem with the 2.6.6.x kernels, and I am getting
> >them from a couple of yum repositories. This includes the latest 435.2.1
> >and 435.2.3 kernels.
> >
> <snip>
>
> I'll second this motion, but mine is with the build in nic on a nForce2
> chipset. The NIC works fine under the 2.6.5-1.358 kernel. But after
> installing the 2.6.6 (any one of them), the nic doesn't work.
> modprobe.conf
> alias eth1 forcedeth
>
> this is the only thing that shows up for eth1 (the onboard nic)
> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth1
> eth1: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01509:904d bound to 0000:00:04.0
>

> everything else seems to work ok, except vsftpd still doesn't work.
> (which is another thread)
>

> --
> Doug Maurer
> doug dmaurer net
> Linux User #299439
>
> "
>
> Interesting.  I have am using this built-in card, and am not having
> problems.  I suppose you are using another card in the pci slot (and that is
> assigned eth0).  I wonder if you pulled that card out, remove references to
> eth0 and eth1 in modprobe.conf and hwconf, and let kudzu refind the card.
> This really should not make a difference, but I am wondering if some of your
> scripts in /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts are causing problems.  You
> dmesg output looks pretty sane . . .
>
> _________

This is what I have in ifcfg-eth0 and 1

# nVidia Corporation|nForce2 Ethernet Controller
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
HWADDR=00:40:CA:6B:78:93
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
[root at ontheroad network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth-
cat: ifcfg-eth-: No such file or directory
[root at ontheroad network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0
# Realtek|RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:30:BD:2B:63:F1
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
DHCP_HOSTNAME=ontheroad

Like i said before, it works fine if i boot into the 2.6.5 kernel, but
stops working under the 2.6.6 kernel. And I wouldn't think there would
be that much of a difference between the two, at least that major to
cause it to fail.
--
Doug Maurer
doug at dmaurer.net