chroot vs virtual machine for web server?

Wayne Stidolph wayne.stidolph at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 19:22:51 UTC 2004

I want to transfer my web serving (small static pages) from an
internal server to my firewall machine, to cut down on the number of
computers running in my SOHO; but I'd like to stay reasonably secure
:) So, I'm thinking I need to run httpd in a chroot, or a user-mode
virtual machine. But which?

I have read about chroot and about UML, but haven't actually set up
either and am uncertain about the security/performance/maintenance
tradeoffs between them. I've done some searching for a
discussion/guidance around anywhere on which way to proceed,
particularly on FC2, but so far haven't been unsuccesful.

TIA for any pointers/comments!
------
Wayne Stidolph wayne _dot_ stidolph _at_ gmail _dot_ com