Yet another sound problem in FC2 (Artsd and Esd)

Hesty P hestyp at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 20:19:23 UTC 2004

Hello all,

It seems like FC2 likes to start artsd and esd on its
own and that causes a lot of my sound problems. I have
not found any way to stop both process from starting.
For example, whenever I logged into gnome, both esd
and artsd are started (I confirmed this via ps -ef ).
After killing both processes, they seem to respawn
whenever certain applications (I am not sure about
which apps yet, but amsn and flash seems to be the
culprits for me) tries to use sound. Of course this
does not play well with other apps that needs to
output sound such as RealPlayer, mplayer, rhythmbox,
etc.

Any idea how to solve this?

Cheers,
Hesty