DHCP Server NT vs Linux

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 11 22:02:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:17:29PM +0200, Daniel Ulfe wrote:

> The only reason to have 2 DHCP servers in the same networks is for
> redundant reasons in case of your first DHCP goes down.
>
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:01:04 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz
> <rpaiz at simpaticus.com> wrote:
> > At 03:13 AM 7/5/2004, david wrote:
> > >Is it possible to run both DHCP servers??
> > >Any ideas would b appreciated.
> >

> > Possible, but: if you do not know of a very good reason why you
> > *want* to do that, then the general case would be that you *do not*
> > want to do that.

Also pay attention to BOOTP.  Support for bootp is also provided by
this server.  Some caution on forwarding for non trivial networks is
in order to avoid loops.

More importantly if you had two server you are not able to specify
which is going to reply to what box.  Both would have to be maintained
to provide correct 'stuff' without conflict.

Better to not have two.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where most of what I type originates.