sound stopped working

Dick Brown dikbrown at qwest.net
Sun Jul 11 22:56:29 UTC 2004

Hi all,
    I'm quite a newbie, so please bear with me.
    I don't use sound too much, so I'm not sure when this happened, but
my sound stopped working.  I'm using KDE 3.1.4-5, with FC1, although I
don't get any sound with Gnome, either.  I have found that other users
are getting sound, however.  I've gone into the KDE control center and
turned on all messages.  Now, when I log in, I get the following message:

Sound server warning message:
Can't set real-time scheduling priority.
You need to run artswrapper as root or
setuid root. This means that you will
likely not be able to produce acceptable
sound (i.e. without clicks and breaks)

I've run 'ps -A' and can't find artswrapper running at all.  I've also
googled for a solution, but all I've found so far are lots of others
with sound problems.

Recent modifications (I don't know if these were before or after the
sound problems) include:
java installation
normal up2date updates

Thanks for any help,