discussion software with NNTP access

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Mon Jul 12 14:54:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:05:24 -0500, Steven Stern
<subscribed-lists at sterndata.com> wrote:

>I've been asked to set up a discussion board for a small group of people. Some
>want to access via the web. Some prefer to treat it as a mailing list. Yet
>others want to use newsgroup software to access via NNTP.
>
>Is there a free, opensource platform that accomplishes this?  I see lots of
>good forum software and good mailing list software and good news server
>software, but not much that does two of the three or all three.
>
>Suggestions welcome and thanks for your help.

Talking to myself....

So far, it looks like the best bet is to run INN as a stand-alone news server,
use the "authmysql" plugin from www.sieker.info to integrate a MySQL database
for user authentication, and use PHP Nes Reader (pnews.sourceforge.net) for
the web interface.

The first two tries at "up2date inn --dry-run" have failed due to CRC checks
in the downloaded file.  I'll have to find a different mirror.
--
   Steve