Can't boot cd

Leigh hst at iprimus.com.au
Mon Jul 12 16:39:48 UTC 2004

Two possible things, but first of all check the disc to make sure the
contents of whats inside the .ISO (you can view the files inside the ISO
archive with most popular compression programs and some toasting sw). So
having done that, comparing the contents of the ISO with the contents on
your burnt cd-r - and knowing what you are doing in the BIOS with booting
from CD (before it boots from the HDD, the boot order for devices has to be
correct), check the type of media you are burning your CD's with. Also make
sure you are using your burning software correctly, have you successfully
made cd-r discs from ISO files you downloaded? and used them in the
respective computer? using the same type of cd-r media? You do sound like
you know what you are talking about though.

I have had various ISO distributions (of Linux, security tools etc) and on
one of my servers, the CD-ROM (which I think is a panasonic) does not boot
from some CD's, but will boot from others... I take the same CD and it loads
perfectly on another workstation using a CD-R/RW/DVD combo drive. These are
cheap gold burnt CD's and I think its the old cd-reader laser doesnt like
the cd media/dye color/coating problem. So try booting your (verified) CD on
a different machine, and then maybe a different machine again... failing
this try different types (brands, colors) of cd-r media or throw a new
cd-rom reader in the problem pc.

Good luck with your efforts, have a good one.

Leigh.
Info. Sec. Analyst
hst at iprimus.com.au