Waiting for Transaction Lock when installing rpm [RESOLVED]

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Mon Jul 12 18:01:37 UTC 2004

fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote:
> Due to a server crash last night, I'm temporarily setting up my
> workstation as a mail server.  To that end, I'm trying to install
> some rpms for clamav. I tried the normal rpm install:
> 	rpm -Uvh <rpm name>
> and it seemed to hang.  I terminated the shell in which this was
> running, and tried again, and got the following:
> 	warning: waiting for transaction lock
> 	error: can't create transaction lock
>
> The process that was running the original rpm is still around, even
> when trying to kill-9 it:
> 	root     31879     1  0 09:15 ?        00:00:00 rpm -Uvh
> clamav-0.74-1.i386.rpm
>
> Any thoughts on:
> 1) How to kill the previous process when kill -9 doesn't?
> 2) Any other way to get this rpm to install?
>
> TIA,
>  -Don

In case anyone's keeping score, I believe I found the problem.
I was doing all this in the first place because the main server was down;
this server was hosting an NFS-available file system.  The workstation I am
now using did in fact mount that foreign system; I hadn't unmounted it when
the server went down.  This mounted but unreachable filesystem seems to have
been the root of the problem.

All is fine now.
 -Don