Can't boot cd

James Kuyper kuyperj at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 22:37:15 UTC 2004

--- Leigh <hst at iprimus.com.au> wrote:
> Two possible things, but first of all check the disc
> to make sure the
> contents of whats inside the .ISO (you can view the
> files inside the ISO
> archive with most popular compression programs and
> some toasting sw). So
> having done that, comparing the contents of the ISO
> with the contents on
> your burnt cd-r - ...

I checked the disks right after I burned them, and
they seemed fine. But it was only a cursory
examination, and I can try taking a closer look.

> ... and knowing what you are doing in
> the BIOS with booting
> from CD (before it boots from the HDD, the boot
> order for devices has to be
> correct),

I've currently got it in the order: CDROM, floppy,
hard disk. I don't remember why I put the floppy
second; I seem to remember running into some kind of
problem when I put it first.

> check the type of media you are burning
> your CD's with.

"Sony CD-R 700 MB 1x-32x compatible" is what it says
on the box. According to Hardware Browser, my CD-ROM
drive is a "Lite-on LTR-24102M". Is there anything
else I need to know about them?

> ... Also make
> sure you are using your burning software correctly,
> have you successfully
> made cd-r discs from ISO files you downloaded? and
> used them in the
> respective computer? using the same type of cd-r
> media?

Nope - I've owned this machine for several years, and
I bought it with a CD recorder installed, but I never
bothered to find out how to burn CDs before. I wanted
to make backups, but it wasn't that urgent, and I
couldn't afford the time I needed to find out how to
do it. I would never have thought to look at
X-CD-Roaster, because my first impression after
looking at the user interface was that it was
exclusively intended for music CDs. However, the
instructions on the web site I looked at on that web
site made it clear that a "track" didn't have to be
music.

> ... You do sound like
> you know what you are talking about though.

Don't read too much into that. I'm an experienced
Unix/Linux user, but as a Linux SA I have relatively
little experience, most of it rather frustrating.

I do have a moderate amount of system configuration
experience. However, most of my system configuration
experience is with DOS/Windows systems, and most of it
is several years out of date.

> I have had various ISO distributions (of Linux,
> security tools etc) and on
> one of my servers, the CD-ROM (which I think is a
> panasonic) does not boot
> from some CD's, but will boot from others... I take
> the same CD and it loads
> perfectly on another workstation using a CD-R/RW/DVD
> combo drive. These are
> cheap gold burnt CD's and I think its the old
> cd-reader laser doesnt like
> the cd media/dye color/coating problem. So try
> booting your (verified) CD on
> a different machine, and then maybe a different
> machine again... failing
> this try different types (brands, colors) of cd-r
> media or throw a new
> cd-rom reader in the problem pc.

I'll try that.