kernel reconfigure

yah hoo bimmer546 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 23:18:31 UTC 2004

newbie kernel compile

what I'm trying to do-
reconfigure kernel for home pc

what I've done so far-
googled and fedora archived for relevant instructions

I know abou the commands
Make menuconfig; xconfig; gconfig; oldconfig. I know
about redirecting output to a 'build' directory: (make
0=output/dir...) as I have read docs. and RH9 Bible by
Negus. + postings, - but none of this jives together.

But what should I do before the above commands?

Anyone have a good description of reconfiguring
kernel? Consider that my latest kernel was updated by
yum. 2.6.6-1.435.2.3, so do not have src, that would
be downloaded from kernel.mirrors.org ?

tia

bim