Spamassassin timing

Thomas Bitschnau typo3 at bitschnau.de
Tue Jul 13 07:16:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 08:30, Thomas Bitschnau wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 21:56, Dave Pawson wrote:
> > older processor, I'm getting similar (long) times.
> > Any info on 'DNS-Tests' please?
>
> I think it's this:
>
> "This works by analysing message text and HTML for URLs, extracting the
> domain names from those, querying their NS records in DNS, resolving the
> hostnames used therein, and querying various DNS blocklists for those IP
> addresses. This is quite effective."
>
> And "querying various DNS blocklists" costs a lot of time, i think.
> Without it for me the spam-detection rate is slightly worse, but my
> client sometimes got stuck, because they took to long. Now I have 3
> spam-messages, out of 250 a day, coming through, which I can sort out by
> hand.

Ok, I took a closer look and the information provided by me, was not
correct.

There is a difference between DNS and DNS::NBL.

We are talking about DNS-lookups, I described DNS::NBL-lookups.

DNS-lookups uses DNS-banlists, which are checked with every tested mail
and this takes some time.  I think this is, what takes so long on some
systems.

PS: I hope this is it now! :-)

Greetings,
--
Thomas B.
ICQ UIN#: 28869987

I finally went to the eye doctor. I got contacts. I only need them to
read, so I got flip-ups. -- Steven Wright