Any experience with yumi yet?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 13 13:34:17 UTC 2004

D. D. Brierton said:
> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 13:53, William Hooper wrote:
>
>> D. D. Brierton said:
>>
>>> I'm hoping we'll eventually move over to Red Carpet which has support
>>>  for both apt and yum repositories.
>>
>> Why?  We already have up2date which has support for both apt and yum
>> repos.
>
> Because not only is Red Carpet much easier to use when it comes to
> browsing repositories and seeing what is available, but it is also a hell
> of a lot easier to add a channel and subscribe to it without fiddling
> around with yum.conf (which clearly many newbies are finding
> non-intuitive). Red Carpet is a very mature package, and is quite simply
> the best package management tool I have ever used.

So your solution isn't to fix what we have (for example, the work to get system-config-packages to use up2date resources), it is to rip it out and use something else?  I don't see that happening, because the work put into Fedora can be used in future versions of RHEL to improve it's package management.

Oh, and up2date doesn't use yum.conf.

--
William Hooper