Help with modem for fedora core 2

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Jul 13 14:36:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 06:25:04PM -0700, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
> I have installed fedora core 2
> and now I want to connect to my ISP using Mozilla.
> How do I locate the modem in the /dev/ directory?
> How do I connect to my ISP [using a chatscript]?
Modems are: comm1 = /dev/ttyS0
	    comm2 = /dev/ttyS1
Usually /dev/modem is linked to the right one.
Set up communication using system-config-network or Internet
Configuration Wizard under System Tools on the Menu (I have never done
the latter).
Then connect using modem lights applet on the panel.

Or ignore that and configure using kppp if you haver installed KDE (it
will work under GNOME). If you have troubles ask more questions.
wvdial is another program that can be used but I don't like it as
much. Also you may have to configure the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.