/etc/resolv.conf and sendmail

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jul 13 15:28:49 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 13.07.2004 schrieb |TF20|Shockwave um 15:59:

> >To check what's going on the first look has to go into the
> >/var/log/maillog. It may be helpful to increase the log level to a
> >higher level by putting
> >
> >define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `15')dnl
> >
> >into the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file. You will need to restart
Sendmail
> >to activate that setting.
>
> Actually, I believe you need to run the sendmail.mc file through the
m4
> macro to make any changes to the sendmail.cf file:
>
> m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>
> Then you can restart the sendmail service to make the changes take
effect.
> Of course, I would back-up the existing sendmail.cf file before doing
> anything.  ;)
>

> Shockwave

No, running m4 manually is not necessary - it was on former Redhat Linux
releases. It would even be simpler by just running "make -C /etc/mail".
But not necessary. If you look into the Sendmail init script you will
find there in the start() function definition following content:

        echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
        if test -x /usr/bin/make -a -f /etc/mail/Makefile ; then
          make all -C /etc/mail -s

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel
2.6.6-1.435.2.3.uml
Serendipity 17:28:12 up 15:10, 8 users, 1.22, 1.32, 1.47