any hints on status of FC3 t1?

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Tue Jul 13 18:04:38 UTC 2004

On 13 Jul 2004, Chris A Czerwinski wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 08:33, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Yang Xiao wrote:

> > > October? you mean by the time I'm done with all the upgrades I got do
> > > it over again?
> > > sigh.
> >
> > not really.  no one says you have to *anything* with FC3 when it comes
> > out.  but keep in mind that, if you choose to work with the fedora
> > core stream, you've implicitly agreed to deal with a fast-moving,
> > regularly-updated release, remember?  that's the price you pay for
> > being out there on the edge.
> >
> > rday
>
> And I take it that they will resolve almost all (95%) of the open
> issues from FC2 without applying fixes (or a fix to a fix).
> Why move forward when you haven't resolved the old problems?
> Why the urgency? Let's get a solid base before moving forward
> otherwise there will be too many issues unresolved or
>  FEDORA will jeopardize their good name and will turn a lot of
> other people who were undecided and go after another developer.
> Is that what you want? MAYBE - FEDORA should go the route of
> SOURCEFORGE and their CVS route.

I'll give you the quick and dirty.  The Fedora team will simply say that
this distro obviously isn't for you.  It's not "leading edge", it's
"bleeding edge".  They've repeatedly stated that they'll release on a
given date whether the release works or not.  This is why many of us now
view Fedora as a continuous beta test for Red Hat.

If a continuous beta doesn't work for you, you can take Red Hat's advice
and purchase one of their Enterprise products.  Or you can look at another
distro like WhiteBox linux, et al.  But there's nothing that you, I, or
anybody else in the "community" can do to slow down the release process or
have it commuted to a "release when ready" cycle.  It's just not in
Red Hat's/Fedora's philosophies.

I still play with FC1.  FC2 didn't work for me and I didn't have the time
to try and make it work.  I'll download FC3 and play with it, but I don't
have high expectations for its stability.  YMMV.

Good luck!

Ben