Can't I get a /dev/one?

Alan Horn ahorn at deorth.org
Wed Jul 14 00:45:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, William M. Quarles wrote:

>>> Okay, so there is a /dev/zero.  Shouldn't there be a /dev/one, too?  Is
>>> there any way that I can fill a file or device full of ones?
>>
>> should be pretty easy. just negate the value
>
> So how do I accomplish that?
> And once I know how to accomplish that, can I actually work that in to a dd
> command?

If you want to fill a file full of ones and you know how many it can be
done trivially with a shell script or command in several different ways.
I'm not going to suggest one here as it'll be picked apart endlessly and I
have a fragile ego ;)

There are various pieces of info we would need to accomplish it.. size of
file.. purpose.. etc...

If you need help with that tho, just mail me offline.

Cheers,

Al