TV Tuner card (External, Internal)

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jul 14 06:26:52 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 23:16, peeyush wrote:

> I seek recommendations from someone who has a TV Tuner Card on Fedora. I
> am running Fedora Core 2 on AMD 2.4 Gig machine.

I've a PCI Hauppauge with TV and FM radio, i think it's the WinTV-GO-FM,
worked flawlessly on Red Hat 9, works the same on Fedora 2.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_gofm.html

The installer will detect the Hauppauge card automatically. If you plug
it into an already installed system, i think all you have to do is to
add this to /etc/modprobe.conf :

alias char-major-81 bttv

I'm watching TV using tvtime and listen to radio with gqradio, both are
outstanding applications.
tvtime is included with Fedora 2, gqradio you have to download and
install.

http://gqmpeg.sourceforge.net/radio.html

I asked the author(s) of gqradio to at least provide a src.rpm so that
people running distros other than RH9 and FC1 can get the src.rpm and
rebuild it on their own system.
If that doesn't happen, here are gqradio packages built by me for Fedora
2:

ftp://andrei.myip.org/media/gqradio/

> The experienced ones
> should guide me about what features should one look for while buying a
> TV Tuner Card.

The ones that you need. :-)
Seriously, just get one that works.

> And by how much factor would the "Monitor", "AGP", "OS"
> affect it.

Monitor? It shouldn't.
AGP? Not if it's a PCI card.
OS? Well, mine works with Fedora 2.