/etc/resolv.conf and sendmail

Philippe phd2 at fcomfrench.com
Wed Jul 14 16:24:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 22:57, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Philippe,
>
> the error or at least the reason for queuing is plainly obvious there!
> Why didn't you earlier post the output of "mailq -v", because exactly
> that shows what's the reason. Until now I thought the queue would not
> contain any useful information.
>
> The reason for queuing is that fcomfrench.com can not be resolved!
>
> >> host map: lookup (fcomfrench.com): deferred) <<
>
> Your DNS setup is broken in some kind. From "host -a fcomfrench.com" I
> see an A record with a very short TTL.
TTL ???
>  Do you very freqently update that
> record with the actual IP?
Sorry ? Update ?
> I think you better switch to use your ISP's
> SMTP server as your smart host.
It does not offer one for my kind of connection.

Alexander, I am sure your knowledge of Linux is A LOT better than mine,
but I must really insist on 2 things.

1 - After restarting sendmail, I have no more problems until the next
boot, and this can be for weeks.

2 - My friend here in Chiangmai has the same ISP, the same french
provider for his website, the same connection package, the same
mainboard and processor and the same OS and he has no problem. So what
is the difference between him and me ? some...

* first : its /etc/resolv.conf has only 2 line, with the 2 nameservers
of my ISP, and is empty before connection. Mine has (had) "search AAA"
in the first line.

* second : he did not install sendmail.cf, and if I remember that that
was the reason why RH9 gave me the same problem at the beginning, until
getting rid of sendmail.cf package... and reinstall, I dont know.

* he uses sendmail and I am using smtp in evolution to send the mail.

I dont know why, but I think that the solution is around here. I cannot
explain why, really, and I read carefully every answer.

I uninstalled sendmail.cf but the pb is still here. Maybe my sendmail.cf
is not clear... I can uninstall sendmail and install it again.

I really appreciate your time on my problem even if it is not fixed. A
frankly good thanks ;-)

Philippe
--
Philippe, Chiangmai, Thailand