Cannot install FC2 or FC3-test1 on 29160 scsi adapter

Kartoz, Michael F michael.f.kartoz at intel.com
Wed Jul 14 20:46:22 UTC 2004

FC2 is not detecting my hard drive on a 29160 scsi adapter.  Can anyone
help?

I'm trying to install FC2 on a machine with only 1 hard drive that is
off of a 29160.  The AIC-7xxx driver is automatically loading and is
finding my adapter (I can see this by hitting <F4> while module is
automatically partitioning, I get "no drives found".  I had no problems
installing and running redhat 9.0 previously on this machine.  I also
tried FC3-test1 but it has the same problem.

When I hit <F4> while AIC-7XXX module is loading, I get many (at least
20) of the following message pairs:

	<4>scsi0: Unexpected busfree while idle
	<4>SEQADDR == 0x1

I'm running on a dual P3 400MHz with a 440MX chipset.

I've tried using "linux noprobe" and "linux apic" and "linux noprobe
apic" to do the installation without any effect.  When I specify
noprobe, I have to choose a driver to get AIC-7XXX support.  At this
point, I have attempted to use various module parameters such as
"extended", "no_reset", and "no_probe" (not really knowing what the do)
but when I specify any options, the module does not load.  I also tried
to use a redhat 9.0 driver disk and was not surprised when it didn't
work since it is for the wrong kernel.  I'd like to try a driver disk
compiled from a 2.6 kernel but haven't been able to find one.

- Mike