kernel compile procedure

kate kate7234 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 21:33:45 UTC 2004

--- netmask <netmask at enZotech.net> wrote:
> > bzcat /home/kate/kernel/linux-2.6.7.tar.bz2 | tar
> xvf
>
> tar xvfj linux-2.6.7.tar.bz2     would be better,
> easier.
>
> > cd linux
> > make mrproper
>
> No need to make mrproper on a freshly untar'd kernel
>
> > make dep
>
> You don't do make dep for the 2.6 kernel anymore
>
> > - What directory should I be in here for make
> > menuconfig?
>
> /usr/local/src/linux-2.6.7/
>
> > make menuconfig
> >

> Looks like you are missing some includes.. did yo
> install gcc development
> tools?  There should probalby be ab out 4500+ files
> in /usr/include (find
> /usr/include |wc -l)  (That's not exact.. I don't
> know exactly, I have a ton
> extra in mine from software installations)

Thanks. OK I was in the wrong dir
According to Package Management I have 5 of 5 of
Kernel Development and 49 of 52 of Development Tools.
Specifically gcc-lib is in /usr/lib

[root at blue linux-2.6.7]# rpm -q gcc
gcc-3.3.3-7

]find /usr/include |wc -l
5036

However,
[root at blue linux-2.6.7]# make menuconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:97:23: sys/types.h: No such
file or directory
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:98:22: sys/stat.h: No such file
or directory... etc
What does this tell me?
Would there be some other gcc rpm that I should query
for?

tia