/etc/resolv.conf and sendmail

Philippe phd2 at fcomfrench.com
Thu Jul 15 02:30:13 UTC 2004

Hi Alexander,

OK this after reboot, and of course connected to my ISP. My ISP gives me
DNS automatically.

> you say the queuing only happens after a reboot of your host. You can
> run right after a boot following command:
>
> echo '/map host fcomfrench.com.' | sendmail -bt -d8.8

Here it is :

[root at P4 root]# echo '/map host fcomfrench.com.' | sendmail -bt -d8.8
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
> map_lookup: host (fcomfrench.com.) dns_getcanonname(fcomfrench.com.,
trymx=1)
dns_getcanonname: trying fcomfrench.com. (AAAA)
        NO: errno=0, h_errno=4
dns_getcanonname: trying fcomfrench.com. (A)
        YES
dns_getcanonname: fcomfrench.com
returns fcomfrench.com. (0)

> It checks for the name lookup. Please paste it's output along with the
> requested output of "sendmail -bt -d0.12 < /dev/null".

Here it is :
[root at P4 root]# sendmail -bt -d0.12 < /dev/null.8
Version 8.12.11
 Compiled with: DNSMAP HESIOD HES_GETMAILHOST LDAPMAP LOG MAP_REGEX
                MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NETINET
NETINET6
                NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SASLv2 SCANF STARTTLS
TCPWRAPPERS
                USERDB USE_LDAP_INIT
    OS Defines: ADDRCONFIG_IS_BROKEN HASFCHOWN HASFCHMOD HASFLOCK
                HASGETDTABLESIZE HASINITGROUPS HASLSTAT HASNICE
HASRANDOM
                HASRRESVPORT HASSETREGID HASSETREUID HASSETRLIMIT
HASSETSID
                HASSETVBUF HASURANDOMDEV HASSTRERROR HASUNAME
HASUNSETENV
                HASWAITPID IDENTPROTO NEEDSGETIPNODE REQUIRES_DIR_FSYNC
                USE_DOUBLE_FORK USE_SIGLONGJMP
Kernel symbols: /boot/vmlinux
     Conf file: /etc/mail/submit.cf (default for MSP)
     Conf file: /etc/mail/sendmail.cf (default for MTA)
      Pid file: /var/run/sendmail.pid (default)
 libsm Defines: SM_CONF_LDAP_MEMFREE SM_CONF_LONGLONG SM_CONF_MEMCHR
                SM_CONF_MSG SM_CONF_SEM SM_CONF_SIGSETJMP SM_CONF_SHM
                SM_CONF_SSIZE_T SM_CONF_STDDEF_H SM_CONF_SYS_CDEFS_H
                SM_CONF_UID_GID SM_HEAP_CHECK SM_OS=sm_os_linux
SM_VA_STD
Canonical name: P4.AAA
 UUCP nodename: P4.AAA
        a.k.a.: P4
        a.k.a.: AAA
        a.k.a.: [192.168.0.1]
     Conf file: /etc/mail/sendmail.cf (selected)
      Pid file: /var/run/sendmail.pid (selected)

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
      (short domain name) $w = P4
  (canonical domain name) $j = P4.AAA
         (subdomain name) $m = AAA
              (node name) $k = P4.AAA

ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>

Here my 2 main config files now after slight changes but which does not
fix the problem.

[root at P4 root]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 203.146.237.237
nameserver 203.146.237.222

[root at P4 root]# cat /etc/hosts
192.168.0.1     P4.AAA  P4              AAA
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhos

Thanks a lot, I do appreciate what you are doing here, along with Gene.

Regards,

Philippe

Thanks a  lot

--