FC2 on Intel 440GX+ Fails Install

Richard W. Irwin ricky at reelradio.com
Thu Jul 15 02:51:09 UTC 2004

I have been unable to install Fedora Core 2 on an Intel 440GX+ motherboard with
dual Pentium III CPUs.  The installation hangs at the very end, when the IDE
boot sector is being written.

This particular machine also has SCSI drives installed on the mobo-provided
controller. The original RH-ES CD release from last year *does* install on this
machine, but Fedora Core 2 will not.

I know these Intel series 440 motherboards had some SCSI problems with Fedora
Core 1. Core 1 will also not install on this machine. It hangs at the SCSI
driver load, as previously noted here.

We did run RH6 and RH8 on another 440GX machine for several years with excellent
performance. And this 440GX works with RH-ES.  Any suggestions, other than
having to buy another RH-ES license?  (We already pay for one. We're a
non-profit, that's enough, I think.)

Thanks for any help,
"Uncle Ricky"
www.reelradio.com