/etc/resolv.conf and sendmail

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jul 15 03:06:16 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 14:05, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

[...]
>Of course, if Philippe did give his Sendmail a hostname which is not
>resolvable, neither by the hosts file nor a DNS, his MTA will not
> work proper. So I requested him to paste the results from "sendmail
> -bt -d0.12 < /dev/null" to get closer to his configuration.
>
>Alexander

All of which makes sense (I think, I'm having trouble with he
"internal" status of AAA yet)

To me, not having that AAA listed as an alias in his hosts file means
that AAA is not locally resolvable, which will force a dns query.
And of course the external dns has no knowledge of a domain named
AAA.  As that adds a timeout before any action is taken, there will
be a huge lag in actually getting the mailer to do anything
constructive, like reporting an error.  At least thats my line of
reasoning.

I think maybe we're talking oranges and apples here to a certain
extent. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.