pxelinux dhcpd

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Thu Jul 15 04:21:20 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 20:17, Boris Glawe wrote:
> Chadley Wilson wrote:
>
> >Greetings
> >
> >I seem to be off track with the pxeboot configuration.

snip
> If you posted your dhcp.conf, we could help a littler better. I also
> don't understand, what you're going to do at all !?

>I thing the problem lies in my dhcpd.conf as the network cards are not
> >getting an ip address. I have to use dynamic dhcp because this setup is
> >for Linux install server. I have tested my nfs installations and they
> >are working perfectly. I have configured bonding with 4 intel lan cards
> >and thats working fine.
> >If I boot from cd the dhcp works and a random ip is assigned to the
> >workstation.
> >My tftp-server appears to be running, and my PXE-server is also running
> >or so I believe. service pxe start returns OK
> >the tftp is started by xinetd and there are no errors in mylogs.
> >I have tried this with several different netcards, intel pro and
> >realteks and of course the onboard ones.
> >
> >I have thus come to the conclusion that I must have something wrong in
> >my dhcpd.conf file. I had read all the man pages but can't get it
> >working.
> >Could someone assist me please?
> >

>I thing the problem lies in my dhcpd.conf as the network cards are not
> >getting an ip address. I have to use dynamic dhcp because this setup is
> >for Linux install server. I have tested my nfs installations and they
> >are working perfectly. I have configured bonding with 4 intel lan cards
> >and thats working fine.
> >If I boot from cd the dhcp works and a random ip is assigned to the
> >workstation.
> >My tftp-server appears to be running, and my PXE-server is also running
> >or so I believe. service pxe start returns OK
> >the tftp is started by xinetd and there are no errors in mylogs.
> >I have tried this with several different netcards, intel pro and
> >realteks and of course the onboard ones.
> >
> >I have thus come to the conclusion that I must have something wrong in
> >my dhcpd.conf file. I had read all the man pages but can't get it
> >working.
> >Could someone assist me please?

Thanks you for your reply Boris,

Ok its simple to understand but hard to explain I suppose :=}

I want to setup a pxelinux server for network installs of linux,

in order for it to work you must setup the following three things:
a dhcp server to assign address to the clients
a pxe server
and
a tftp or mtftp server.

OK the PXE server can be started by running <service pxe start>,
but the tftp server is part of the xinetd script.
I have both running and it seems fine.

The problem is that the boot roms from all my network cards are not
getting an IP from the dhcp server.
I have tested the server with an ordinary workstation and it works.

I need my dhcp to assign the netboot clients an ip address. But I can't
set it up to be work station specific, because this is a production line
for computers, so we are not keeping the machine here forever. each
machine that will boot on the network will be new.

In other words I need the dhcp server to dynamically assign a random ip
to the pcs booted from net cards.

here is my dhcpd.conf, I hope this explains what I am trying to do?

ddns-update-style interim;
allow client-updates;
        allow booting;
        allow bootp;

subnet 192.168.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

        option domain-name              "pinteq.org";

        range dynamic-bootp 192.168.10.128 192.168.10.255;
        default-lease-time 21600;
        max-lease-time 43200;

        group {
                # PXE-specific configuration directives...
                next-server 192.168.10.2;
                filename "/tftpboot/pxelinux.0";

}

}