LDAP PAM authconfig and settings

Neil Marjoram n.marjoram at adastral.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 15 08:53:11 UTC 2004

Can anyone help me with the system-auth pam config ?

If I use the authconfig script to alter /etc/pam.d/system-auth file for
LDAP I can no longer login to the system, and using su from root to my
user produces this error :

su: incorrect password

I have searched the OpenLdap lists and found that Redhat 9 had a bug
which set one of the pam options incorrectly.

The line was set to : account required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so

In FC2 the line is set to :

account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore]
/lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so

The suggestion is to set this line to :

account [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore service_err=ignore
system_err=ignore authinfo_unavail=ignore]
/lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so

When this is set I can login with no problems. Any ideas ? Have I got
something else wrong !

Thanks,

Neil.