/etc/resolv.conf and sendmail

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jul 15 11:28:32 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 15.07.2004 schrieb Philippe um 4:30:

> OK this after reboot, and of course connected to my ISP. My ISP gives me
> DNS automatically.

Ok, and just to be sure, at that situation when probing with those 2
commands I gave you your Sendmail is queuing the mail and not sending? I
ask because the map lookup right below succeeds and so mail to
anyone at fcomfrench.com should go directly out and should not be deferred.

> > you say the queuing only happens after a reboot of your host. You can
> > run right after a boot following command:
> >
> > echo '/map host fcomfrench.com.' | sendmail -bt -d8.8
>
> Here it is :
>
> [root at P4 root]# echo '/map host fcomfrench.com.' | sendmail -bt -d8.8
> ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
> Enter <ruleset> <address>
> > map_lookup: host (fcomfrench.com.) dns_getcanonname(fcomfrench.com.,
> trymx=1)
> dns_getcanonname: trying fcomfrench.com. (AAAA)
>         NO: errno=0, h_errno=4
> dns_getcanonname: trying fcomfrench.com. (A)
>         YES
> dns_getcanonname: fcomfrench.com
> returns fcomfrench.com. (0)

The lookup is proper. The only thing right now I could suggest is to
disable IPv6 with following line in the /etc/modprobe.conf

install ipv6 /bin/true

> > It checks for the name lookup. Please paste it's output along with the
> > requested output of "sendmail -bt -d0.12 < /dev/null".
>
> Here it is :
> [root at P4 root]# sendmail -bt -d0.12 < /dev/null.8
> Version 8.12.11

[ ... ]

> Canonical name: P4.AAA
>  UUCP nodename: P4.AAA
>         a.k.a.: P4
>         a.k.a.: AAA
>         a.k.a.: [192.168.0.1]
>      Conf file: /etc/mail/sendmail.cf (selected)
>       Pid file: /var/run/sendmail.pid (selected)
>
> ============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
>       (short domain name) $w = P4
>   (canonical domain name) $j = P4.AAA
>          (subdomain name) $m = AAA
>               (node name) $k = P4.AAA
>
> ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
> Enter <ruleset> <address>

Looks ok too. The only thing you will face is, that your private domain
name AAA and the FAQD P4.AAA is not resolvable for any mail host
outside. So many MTAs will reject your mail and not accept it. Therefor
I asked you to better choose your ISP's SMTP server as smart host.

> Here my 2 main config files now after slight changes but which does not
> fix the problem.
>
> [root at P4 root]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 203.146.237.237
> nameserver 203.146.237.222

Good.

> [root at P4 root]# cat /etc/hosts
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 192.168.0.1     P4.AAA  P4              AAA
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhos

If with "localhos" the missing "t" is just a pasting error.

> Philippe

A last question. You showed us a mail being in queue with "mailq -v"
output with recipient <phd2 at fcomfrench.com>. Is only that one queued
after the initial start of Sendmail after a reboot or every recipient?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.uml
Serendipity 13:20:20 up 2 days, 11:02, load average: 1.02, 1.19, 1.16