Which to use? -ivh, -Uvh or -Fvh.

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Thu Jul 15 16:46:41 UTC 2004

On Jul 15, 2004 at 09:35, Dan Barnes in a soothing rage wrote:

>How can I determine if a rpm file should be
>added to the system with an INSTALL (-ivh),
>UPDATE (-Uvh) or a FRESHEN (-Fvh)?
I use 'rpm -ivh' for kernel installs only.
I use 'rpm -Fvh' for everything else. If this does
not install the rpm, I would then use 'rpm -Uvh'
depending on whether I really needed wanted the rpm
installed.

[...]
>I have tried to use up2date to add the
>rpm files to the system, but, I could
>not figure out how to make up2date use
>local files and not go out on the network.
You need to amend your /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.
You will need something like:

### a local directory full of packages
### format
dir my-Fedora-stuff /downloads/DOWNLOADS/RPMS/FEDORA/

HTH
N.Emile...
Idleness is the holiday of fools.
 12:37:59  up 17 days,  5:53,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00