Which to use? -ivh, -Uvh or -Fvh.

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 15 16:58:11 UTC 2004

Dan Barnes wrote:

> How can I determine if a rpm file should be
> added to the system with an INSTALL (-ivh),
> UPDATE (-Uvh) or a FRESHEN (-Fvh)?

In almost all cases you can use -Uvh
This will upgrade an existing package OR install it if it isn't already
installed.

The only time I use -Fvh is when I have downloaded a large number of RPMs
(such as a new KDE version) but only want to install the new versions of
packages I already have.

The one occasion when -ivh might be a good idea is kernel upgrades. This
will leave the old kernel in place too in case the old one doesn't boot.
I don't really see the point of this command in other contexts as surely
files from the old and new version of a package will conflict?

Jonathan