Curt tone? + install FC2 w/XP

- - s r b - - srb at 295.ca
Thu Jul 15 18:17:49 UTC 2004

Mathew Brown wrote:

> but if this is the smugness one gets for asking help i'd rather use
> winblows

At least the subject/thread is accurate! :-)

As for installing alongside XP... this is how I did it:

1) You'll have to create an empty partition on your hard drive somewhere
(suggest at least 5GB). It does not need to be formatted at all.
Partition Magic for windows can do this, as can some other software.

2) Install FC2 from the CD's. When it gets to the partition selection,
CAREFULLY read what it is doing. You want to select the option to
INSTALL to UNFORMATTED partition. FC2 will sub-partition this unused
area into root, boot and swap partitions automatically (you can manually
change the swap size, but it should be at least equal to the size of
your RAM).

3) When it gets to the bootloader screen, select to install it to the
MBR (Master Boot Record). Here you can also select what default OS you
want (FC2 or XP).

4) The rest of the install should proceed without any problems and
you'll then have a dual-bootable system (FC2/XP).

NOTE: Backup any important documents first... neither I nor Fedora will
be responsible if anything is lost. But this method has worked fine for me.

Now that wasn't too difficult... :-)

Peace.

--
srb