general information: Fedora and MySQL

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 19:30:32 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris said:

> I read the exception rule.  It seems to say you can ship mysql with
> other GPL software (or software using one of the listed licenses).  Does it
> permit development of applications for internal use only with out a payed
> license?  That was the part that made me move to postgresql.

IANAL, check with your companies legal staff first.

Assuming you are using the GPL MySQL:

1) The GPL only covers distribution
2) According to the FSF [1], use within one organization or company isn't distribution.

So yes, IMHO, you can do it internally without a payed licenses.  If you want to distribute it outside of your company, then your software would have to be licensed under the GPL or one of the exceptions.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#InternalDistribution

--
William Hooper