Which to use? -ivh, -Uvh or -Fvh.

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Thu Jul 15 19:43:07 UTC 2004

On Jul 15, 2004 at 17:58, Jonathan Rawle in a soothing rage wrote:

>Dan Barnes wrote:
>
>> How can I determine if a rpm file should be
>> added to the system with an INSTALL (-ivh),
>> UPDATE (-Uvh) or a FRESHEN (-Fvh)?
>>

>In almost all cases you can use -Uvh
>This will upgrade an existing package OR install it if it isn't already
>installed.
Do _NOT_ use this for kernel installs/upgrades. _Always_
use 'rpm -ivh'.

>The only time I use -Fvh is when I have downloaded a large number of RPMs
>(such as a new KDE version) but only want to install the new versions of
>packages I already have.
>
>The one occasion when -ivh might be a good idea is kernel upgrades.
There is no 'might' about this. It _is_ the way to proceed.
The simple reason is that the kernel you are running has
proved to bootable. If you upgrade (-Uvh|-Fvh) and that
kernel does not boot, you may have to go thru a lot to
get a bootable on your system. Depending on the level of
expertise of the user, this can be a daunting taks,

>This
>will leave the old kernel in place too in case the old one doesn't boot.
>I don't really see the point of this command in other contexts as surely
>files from the old and new version of a package will conflict?
Not in all cases. For instance different versions of python or db
can exist installed on a machine. It all depends on how the software
is packaged.

N.Emile...
The last vestiges of the old Republic have been swept away.
		-- Governor Tarkin
 15:36:39  up 17 days,  8:51,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00