Sendmail and spamassassin

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Thu Jul 15 21:26:36 UTC 2004

Edwin Dicker wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have installed and configured sendmail ( nothing really complicated
> in the sendmail.mc file )
> I also have installed spamassassin RPM (spamassassin-2.63-8)
> I have noticed that spamd is running on my system but When I receive
> mail on my clients there is nothing in the headers of the mail which
> indicates that spamd hads processed it. What do I have to tell
> sendmail to let spamd process the incoming mail ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Edwin

You have a couple of choices...

1) If you want sendmail to call spamassassin, then you'll need to configure
sendmail to call a "milter" such as amavisd-new, mimedefang or
spamass-milter. The milters can be configured to call Spamassassin and even
AntiVirus software for each inbound e-mail.

2) Call spamassasin (spamc) directly through a procmail recipe.

Steve Cowles