fedora-list Digest, Vol 5, Issue 203

Dan Barnes danhbarnes at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 21:29:55 UTC 2004

> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:43:07 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "nene." <akakabipeakeasy.net>
> Subject: Re: Which to use?  -ivivh-UvUvhr -FvFvh
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases
> <fedora-list at reredhatom>
<Pine.LNLNX.53.0407151536390.8371 at mamachguguhviesrorg

> On Jul 15, 2004 at 17:58, Jonathan RaRawlen a
> soothing rage wrote:
>
> >Dan Barnes wrote:
> >
> >> How can I determine if a rpm file should be
> >> added to the system with an INSTALL (-ivivh
> >> UPDATE (-UvUvhor a FRESHEN (-FvFvh
> >>

> >In almost all cases you can use -UvUvh> >This will
upgrade an existing package OR install it
> if it isn't already
> >installed.
> Do _NOT_ use this for kernel installs/upgrades.
> _Always_
> use 'rpm -ivivh
>
> >The only time I use -FvFvhs when I have downloaded
> a large number of RPRPMs> >(such as a new
KDKDEersion) but only want to
> install the new versions of
> >packages I already have.
> >
> >The one occasion when -ivivhight be a good idea is
> kernel upgrades.
> There is no 'might' about this. It _is_ the way to
> proceed.
> The simple reason is that the kernel you are running
> has
> proved to bobootableIf you upgrade (-UvUvhFvFvhand
> that
> kernel does not boot, you may have to go ththru lot
> get a bobootablen your system. Depending on the
> level of
> expertise of the user, this can be a daunting tataks
>
> >This
> >will leave the old kernel in place too in case the
> old one doesn't boot.
> >I don't really see the point of this command in
> other contexts as surely
> >files from the old and new version of a package
> will conflict?
> Not in all cases. For instance different versions of
> python or db
> can exist installed on a machine. It all depends on
> how the software
> is packaged.
>
> N.Emile...
> --

Never mind.  Someone noticed I made a mistake.

I thought I installed lilibselinuxedevelbut,
lilibselinuxedevelas listed in the file
"/root/install.log" under:

"The following packages were available in this version
but NOT installed:"

So I need to use -UvUvho add lilibselinuxedevelo
my system, not -FvFvhor add lilibselinuxedevelhe
next time I install the system).

Sorry for taking up your time.

Dan Barnes