Cannot install FC2 or FC3-test1 on 29160 SCSI adapter (no html this time)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jul 15 22:30:22 UTC 2004

Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
> Kartoz, Michael F wrote:
>
>> I've tried using "linux noprobe" and "linux apic" and "linux noprobe
>> apic" to do the installation without any effect.  When I specify
>> noprobe, I have to choose a driver to get AIC-7XXX support.  At this
>> point, I have attempted to use various module parameters such as
>> "extended", "no_reset", and "no_probe" (not really knowing what they do)
>> but when I specify any options, the module does not load.  I also tried
>> to use a Redhat 9.0 driver disk and was not surprised when it didn't
>> work since it is for an older kernel.  I'd like to try a driver disk
>> compiled from a 2.6 kernel but haven't been able to find one.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to make this work?
>>

> The 29160 is working for me with FC2 on an athlon system.  Dual P3
> sounds old enough that the acpi support may be broken.  You may want to
> try "pci=noacpi" or even "acpi=off"

Try adding "noapic".  APICs are enabled by default, and if they're
broken, you can have lots of problems.  "noapic" turns them off with
a (very, very) minor loss of performance.
-     If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...     -
-              ...oh, wait.  He does.  THAT explains it!             -