general information: Fedora and MySQL

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 15 22:34:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 16:57, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
>   Does
> > it permit development of applications for internal use only with out a
> > payed license?  That was the part that made me move to postgresql.
> >

> The GPL only applies if you redistribute binaries to a third party
> (within offices of the same company doesnt count). If you are using it
> only for internal purpose the GPL doesnt even count. You can
> completely ignore it and not agree to it and still use the software
>
> regards
> Rahul Sundaram

That was the way I had understood it.  But I seem to remember (and that
is dangerous with a bad memory :) ) that the mysql web site at one time
had verbage saying they wanted a license fee if you used mysql in a
commercial environment within an organization with no intent to sell or
distribute the application/software using mysql outside of the
organization.

May have misinterpreted that clause but was pretty sure that was what
they were trying to say.

Mute issue now.  Have moved on to use postgresql.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after.